Note: We are not veterinarians, and we are not giving veterinary advice. We are simply writing about what we have done in the past and this should not be construed as veterinary advice. CBD can be quite calming for dogs, and can last for a whole day. By giving the CBD in an oil, and placing it under their tongue for 60 seconds, you don't have to give them as much CBD (which is quite expensive). If you gave a dog CBD orally, perhaps in a pill or gummy, they would need quite a lot of CBD because the vast majority of CBD does not get through the stomach all the to the bloodstream. By giving the dog the CBD under the tongue, you don't have to use much. Here's an example of a dog who is NOT stressed:
A good starting point is to give your dog 0.2 milligrams of CBD per pound of body weight once daily. You can increase the dose by 0.2 milligrams per pound of body weight every 24 hours until you reach the desired effect. For a 70 pound dog, we have often used 20 mg CBD in a dropper-full of oil. Salmon-flavored oil works great because the dog finds it much tastier than olive oil or vegetable oil.
Here are some tips for giving your dog CBD oil sublingually:
- Place the recommended dose under your dog's tongue.
- Hold it there for 60 seconds (or even two to three minutes) before allowing them to swallow.
- Be sure to wash your hands after giving your dog the CBD oil.
- Monitor your dog for any side effects, such as diarrhea.
- If you have any concerns, be sure to contact your veterinarian.