If you're a disabled veteran in Minnesota and you have a dog with a CGC certificate*, and you want to train your dog to help you with your disability, we've got some exciting news for you. You can apply for our new pilot program where we'll team up with you to train your very own service dog. We'll work closely with you to make it happen!
* CGC means Canine Good Citizen certificate.
- You can take classes at the Humane Society to get a CGC certificate.
- Usually, it takes 12-18 months of attending those classes at the Humane Society before your dog can take the CGC test there.
- Once you have your CGC, we would be thrilled if you applied for our pilot program.
To apply for this program, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You must be a veteran of the U.S. military.
- Your dog must have a valid CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certificate.
- In your home, you can only have one dog, not multiple dogs. It's because having one dog as a pet and another dog as a service dog doesn't work very well together.
- You should live in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, or a nearby suburb of those cities.
- You should work or go to school for less than 20 hours a week. Please note that even though some people with disabilities work or go to school full-time, we are currently only accepting applicants who work or go to school part-time or less.
- You must agree to work closely with Pawsitivity and send in daily reports.
If you meet all these requirements, you can contact us at [email protected].